Flu vaccines are available either as:
- Trivalent or quadrivalent injection (TIV or QIV), which contains the inactivated (dead strains) form of the virus.
- A nasal spray of live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV, Q/LAIV), which contains the attenuated or weakened form of the virus. Cold Adapted, it can only cause problems in your nose where it is cold, when it goes deeper where it is warm it will not cause problems.
There are huge misconceptions and conspiracy theories:
- The flu vaccine do NOT cause flu. Feeling dizzy and uncomfortable after the vaccine is due to your immune system reacting to the virus and creating antibodies. You are not sick.
- Thimerosal/mercury does NOT cause autism.
- Vaccines do NOT cause autism.
- Vaccines ( even in volume) are NOT bad for the immune system.
- The flu vaccine is NOT a government conspiracy.
Efficacy of the flu vaccine:
Usually between 60% or 70%
Studies show that in a vaccinated group of 100 subjects, 1 gets infected and in the control group of 100 subjects 4 get infected.
In general benefits outnumber risks greatly.
- Herd immunity
- Reduces sick time.
- Reduces medical visits
- Reduces hospitalizations
- Reduces Deaths
- Protects again complications
- Ear infections
- Sinus infections
- Bacterial infections
- Some pain in the arm is not that uncommon for a few hours
- Febrile seizures (1 in a 1000, it produces no long term problems)
- Guillain-Barre syndrome (nerve disease) – In 1976 there was an extra case among 100,000
Why do you need to get a flu shot every year? by TEDed: https://youtu.be/FZ_jNGKCIWs
Get your flu shot! it’s not about you, OK? By HealthcareTriage: https://youtu.be/iXociKUJXu8
How the flu shot works (and why you should get it) by Seeker: https://youtu.be/JBEkdRx6b5s
The trouble with this year’s flu season (2018) by SciShow: https://youtu.be/8Ch48o4og8E
Two flu vaccines by Khan (TIV and LAIV): https://youtu.be/4mXv-Pa4CMM
Flu vaccine risks and benefits ny Khan: https://youtu.be/2h09oj26_H0