Motorcycle lane splitting is a practice that has been common on roads and highways as long as there have been motorcycles and traffic. California has become the only state in the U.S. that has made lane splitting legal. California Vehicle Code 21658.1 defines lane splitting as “driving a motorcycle between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane including on both divided and undivided streets, roads and highways.” This section became effective Jan.1, 2017.
The MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) endorse lane splitting, given the long term success in California and the University of California study by Berkley researchers showing that it enhances motorcycle safety. “A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.” There has been recent enthusiasm for lane splitting and/or filtering in other states.
The University of California at Berkeley published a report in May 2015 that concludes that motorcyclists who split lanes in heavy traffic are significantly less likely to be struck from behind by other motorists, are less likely to suffer head or torso injuries, and are less likely to sustain fatal injuries in a crash.
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) published “Lane Splitting General Guidelines”. Meant to bring awareness and promote safety among California’s motorists.
To become an Uber driver, you must consent to allow Uber to run a background check and driving record check.
The Uber background check looks at these records
- County courthouse records for every county of residence for the last 7 years
- Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
- The multi-state criminal database going back 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Records
- Social Security Trace
- National Sex Offender Registry
Uber background check and driving record check criteria
Your background must meet these conditions:
- A minimum of 1 year U.S. licensing history (if under 23 years old, must have at least 3 years licensing history).
- A clean Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with no more than 3 incidents in the past 3 years.
- No DUIs and no reckless driving.
- California Uber drivers must not have a DUI in the last 10 years.
- A clean criminal background check with no felonies or misdemeanors involving theft, violence or drugs in a given time frame.
- No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.
- Uber does not perform a credit check
Uber uses a company called Checkr to perform the background checks.
Read a complete article @
Unfortunately, most people mistakenly think the problem is that “trains in America function so badly.”
In fact, America has the most efficient rail system in the world. It is European trains that function badly.
American railroads are private and based on the profit motive they operate as efficiently as possible. European railroads are public and based on the political motive they operate as visibly as possible. Passenger trains are more visible to the public than freight trains (which are almost invisible to people who see them only as obstacles), so European politicians give their constituents subsidized trains rather than an efficient rail system.
Read the article by Randal O’Toole
Pew Research Study in freight transportation
European comission: panorama of transport
Europeans don’t ride transit either